Sunday, September 6, 2009

Looking On The Bright Side


I was reading the Book of Mormon the other day and had begun to plow into "The Isaiah Chapters". I don't hate them as much as most people seem to--years ago I made a study of Isaiah and knowing a few language keys makes the book much less inscrutable. Anyway, I came to the 11th verse of the seventh chapter of 2 Nephi. (It's the same passage as Isaiah 50 in the KJV of the Bible.) "Behold all ye that kindle fire, that compass yourselves about with sparks, walk in the light of your fire and in the sparks which ye have kindled. This shall ye have of mine hand—ye shall lie down in sorrow."
I've always understood that this verse refers to people who refuse to look to the scriptures of the prophets for guidance, but insist on making decisions based on their own understanding and desires. But I have also understood it to be applicable only to cases of good vs evil.
There are times when I get a little discouraged. Those times usually come when I feel like I'm over-extended and have more to do than I can do, or that I have something to do for which I feel incapable. I don't guess I'm unique in this. This morning I was attending a little pity party for myself. It devolved to the point where I opined (to myself; when you invite others to your emotional self-flagellations they generally neglect to attend) that I was really a phony. That I had a few talents that I leaned on over and over so I could look good and get by, but really I was incapable of most things and was going through life pretending. Actually I was praying these things. God, it turns out, will attend the occasional pity party--he breaks them up. Mine was broken up this morning by having the above scripture flash into my mind along with the firm impression that every natural man leans on a few favorite talents and goes to work faking his way through life by over-relying on them. But that God possesses all talents in infinite perfection and has freely offered to support us with them until we are able to make them our own. But we, most of the time, insist on relying on our own strengths rather than coming up with the humility to acknowledge that we are incomplete and need help. It's like we were dumped in the ocean. God sends a motorboat to get us to shore but we insist on swimming. Then we plead for a life ring when we become exhausted. This is not the path of wisdom. But it's the path of the ego. It's the path that we know.

Relying on our own light is very much leaning uphill.

In my reading the past several months I keep bumping into the theory that we humans are connected to God: our source. The theme is tucked away in most of the ancient philosophies of the world. Some go so far as to say we are part of God. Others explain that we are living expressions of God Himself. Even some secular thinkers (I'm thinking of Maxwell Maltz of "Psycho-Cybernetics" fame here) insist that there is something in the universe that connects everything and everyone together. And that we have access to knowledge separated from ourselves by space and even time.
Christians believe this. Lots of them don't believe they believe it, but I don't see how a person can read John 17 and come away with any other understanding. Verses 21-24 sum it up but the whole chapter is of this theme:
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
I recognize that all of us have a kernel within us that is a unique individual that has always been and will always be an independent intelligence. But all that we are that allows for us to interact with everything else and express ourselves, is an expression of something that connects us all, and makes us all one. Or at least was intended to .
It's the Ego, the I.D., the Natural Man, Fallen Man, whatever you want to call it, that sets up this construct of our knowledge and our thoughts and our possessions etc. and convinces us that "It" is "Us". Dr. Wayne Dyer, in "The Power of Intention" describes the ego as a drop in the ocean that insists that it is separate from the rest of the ocean, and even goes so far as to imply that it is the ocean.
Sometimes my little drop tries to accomplish things that it takes a whole ocean to do and that's when it throws the pity parties.


We waste time and emotion kindling fire and compassing ourselves about with sparks to see by when we could simply step into the daylight and see the world by the light of the noon sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not about skiing: It's about what I learned when I learned to ski.

You can't have fun skiing if you always lean uphill towards the seeming security of the uphill slope: Leaning up is natural for most of us though: after all, if you fall uphill, you don't have as far to go before you hit.
Trouble is when you ski like that, you spend a lot of time in the snow. Your center of balance is all out of whack, your skis slide out from under you and down you go. It's no fun.
If you want to zoom down the slopes free and easy you have to commit to the fall line, get your "nose over your toes" and risk tumbling head over heels once in a while in a glorious confusion of arms and legs and skis. But once you make the commitment: Surprise! You hardly ever fall and you can ski!
I don't ski much any more but life is like that too. You have to commit and risk a crash if you really want to live a full life.
This web log is a chronicle of the ways I find myself leaning up into the hill, and what happens when I catch myself doing it, and then lean forward instead.

Followers